1. Acceptance of Terms

By accessing or using the cleaning services provided by KITIPLACE, you agree to abide by the terms and conditions outlined in this document. If you do not agree to these terms, please refrain from using our services.

2. Service Agreement

Upon requesting and scheduling cleaning services with KITIPLACE, a service agreement is formed. This agreement outlines the scope of services, pricing, and other relevant details. Both parties are expected to adhere to the terms of this agreement.

3. Booking and Cancellation

Clients may book services through our website, phone, or in person. A cancellation fee may apply for cancellations made less than 24 hours before the scheduled service. KITIPLACE reserves the right to cancel or reschedule services due to unforeseen circumstances.

4. Service Pricing

Service pricing is based on factors such as service type, frequency, and property size. Any additional services requested during the cleaning appointment may incur extra charges. All pricing details will be communicated and agreed upon before the commencement of services.

5. Payment Terms

Clients are required to make a deposit of 70% of the total service cost upon confirming the booking. The remaining 30% balance is due upon completion of the cleaning services. The deposit secures the booking and allows us to allocate resources for your scheduled service.

Payment Methods:We accept cash, credit/debit cards, and other agreed-upon payment methods. Invoices and receipts will be provided for all transactions. Late payments may be subject to additional fees.

Cancellation and Refund Policy:The 70% deposit is non-refundable in the event of a cancellation less than 24 hours before the scheduled service. For cancellations made in advance, clients may be eligible for a partial refund at the discretion of KITIPLACE.

Service Completion:Upon completion of the cleaning services, clients are required to settle the remaining 30% of the total service cost. Our team will provide an invoice specifying the services rendered, and payment is expected promptly.

Late Payments:Payments not received within the specified timeframe may be subject to late fees. Continued late payments may result in the suspension of services until the outstanding balance is settled.

6. Access to Premises

Clients are responsible for providing access to the premises at the scheduled service time. In the event of restricted access or unforeseen circumstances preventing service delivery, please notify KITIPLACE in advance.

7. Confidentiality

KITIPLACE respects the privacy and confidentiality of our clients. Any sensitive information obtained during the provision of services will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and will not be disclosed to third parties.

8. Property Condition

While KITIPLACE takes great care in providing cleaning services, we are not responsible for pre-existing damage to the property or items. Clients are encouraged to report any pre-existing damage before service commencement.

9. Safety and Liability

KITIPLACE prioritizes the safety of our clients and employees. Clients are requested to keep the cleaning area clear of hazards. KITIPLACE is not liable for injuries or damages resulting from pre-existing unsafe conditions.

10. Complaints and Disputes

Clients are encouraged to report any complaints or disputes promptly. KITIPLACE will make reasonable efforts to address and resolve issues in a timely manner. Clients may contact our customer service team to submit a complaint.

11. Termination of Services

KITIPLACE reserves the right to terminate services if a client violates these terms, engages in inappropriate behavior, or fails to make payments in a timely manner.

12. Amendments to Terms

KITIPLACE may update these terms periodically. Clients will be notified of any changes, and continued use of our services implies acceptance of the updated terms.

13. Governing Law

These terms of use are governed by the laws of Nigeria. Any disputes arising from these terms will be subject to the jurisdiction of the appropriate courts in Nigeria.

By engaging with KITIPLACE, clients acknowledge and agree to these terms of use. For any inquiries or clarifications, please contact our customer service team.

Need help?

Contact us at clients@kitiplace.com if there is any question.